Narrowing the Gender Gap
The Narrowing the Gender Gap project sought to address the current gender gap in legal awareness among Syrian refugee women, in particular female-headed households, with a view to strengthen resilience by improving access to information pathways and gaining legal awareness. This project was funded by the Embassy of Switzerland in Jordan and implemented by ARDD-Legal Aid.
This project took a two-fold approach:
(1) It continued to work towards the capacity-building of Syrian lawyers, with particular emphasis on gender and their ability to reach out to Syrian women, especially female-headed households.
(2) Enhanced the legal awareness of Syrian refugee women and in particular Syrian refugee women head of households.
Through the capacity-building sessions, the lawyers were provided with sessions focusing on the ethics of providing legal aid, gender communication and legal issues facing female heads of households. In the second part of the program, ARDD-Legal Aid provided groups of Syrian refugee women with legal awareness and psychosocial support sessions. These sessions integrated the provision of information with assertiveness skills in order to facilitate the ways in which women can access their rights.
- Participating Syrian lawyers have increased their knowledge about gender communication and have enhanced their awareness about the legal issues facing Syrian refugee women, in particular female headed households.
- Targeted Syrian refugee women and female headed households are more aware about their legal rights.
- Targeted Syrian refugee women and female headed households have obtained assertiveness skills that help them better engage with the legal system.
As part of the project, ARDD-Legal Aid conducted evidence-based research focusing on Syrian refugee women and female headed households. The research resulted in a report which shed light on the many difficulties refugee women, in particular female headed households, as well as providing some recommendations on how to move forward in responding to this particular group of beneficiaries. The report can be accessed here.